- Colleges and Schools
- College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Faculty and Staff
- Lori Pennington-Gray Ph.D., M.S.
Faculty and Staff
Lori Pennington-Gray, Ph.D., M.S.
|Title:||Endowed Chair and Director
|Department:||SmartState Center for Economic Excellence in Tourism and Economic Development
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
|Resources:||SmartState Tourism Center|
Ph.D., Michigan State University, Lansing, Mich.
M.S., The Pennsylvania State University, State College, Penn.
B.A., The University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Lori Pennington-Gray is a leader in tourism crisis management. She currently is the director of the Richardson Family SmartState Center for Economic Excellence in Tourism and Economic Development. She has a strong commitment to enhancing the industry and aiding in strategic policy decisions. Pennington-Gray's work converts research into practice. She has experience working with a variety of stakeholders from the public and private sector to non-government and community-based organizations. Much of her work has been featured by top media outlets such as the New York Times.
- Tourism crisis management
- Destination resilience
- Crisis preparedness
- Stakeholder networks
- Visitor assistance programs and incident management
- Risk perceptions and personal protective behaviors
- Risk and crisis communication
- Safety climate and perceptions of safety
- Destination management and marketing
Honors and awards
- Inducted into the Academy of Leisure Sciences as a fellow, December 2020.
- Xu, Y. H., & Pennington-Gray, L. (2017). "Explore the spatial relationship between Airbnb rental and crime." Best student colloquium paper TTRA 2018.
- Lee, Y., Pennington-Gray, & Kim, J. (2018). "Understanding the effect of tourism clusters on sharing economy performance." Presented at the Stanley Lecture series symposium. Best poster session winner — TRSM.
- Choe, Y.; Lee, Y., Kim, L. & Pennington-Gray, L. (2018). "Representation of food safety in online reviews." Presented at Enter2018, January 28. Best poster presentation Enter Conference 2018.
- Omodior, O., Pennington-Gray, L., & Donohoe, H. (2015). "Efficacy of the theory of planned behavior in predicting the intention to engage in tick-borne disease personal protective behavior amongst visitors to an outdoor recreation center." Journal of Park & Recreation Administration, 33(2). Best Paper of the Year for the Journal.
- Pennington-Gray, L. (1998). "Generational marketing: An examination of attitudes and benefits sought by different generations of Canadian pleasure travelers." Awarded the Luray Caverns Grant by the National Tourism Foundation, National Tour Association, St. Louis, Missouri.
- University of Florida — Term Professorship (2017-2020).
- University of Florida — International Educator of the Year: Senior Faculty (2013).
- University of Florida — Department of Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management: Doctoral Dissertation Mentoring Award (2019).
- University of Florida — Department of Tourism, Recreation and Sport Management: Sabbatical (2013).
- University of Florida — College of Health and Human Performance: Doctoral Dissertation
Mentoring Award (2012).
Garrod, B., Saarinen, J., Moreno-Gil, S., Stepchenkova, S., Buhalis, D., Fyall, A; Jamal, T & Pennington-Gray, L. (2020). "Taking a road less travelled." Welcome to Tourism and Hospitality. 20-22.
Barbe, D., & Pennington-Gray, L. (2020). "Social media and crisis communication in tourism and hospitality." Handbook of e-Tourism, 1-27.
Anderson, K. R., Naaman, K., Omodior, E., Karikari, G., Pennington-Gray, L., & Omodior, O. (2020). "Predicting Chikungunya disease personal protective behaviors: Results of a cross-sectional survey of US-Caribbean travelers." Health Promotion Perspectives, 10(1), 43.
Barbe, D*., Neuburger, L*., & Pennington-Gray, L. (2020). "Follow Us on Instagram! Understanding the driving force behind following travel accounts on Instagram." E-review of Tourism Research, 17(4).
Anderson, K. R., Naaman, K., Omodior, E., Karikari, G., Pennington-Gray, L., & Omodior, O. (2020). "Predicting Chikungunya disease personal protective behaviors: Results of a cross-sectional survey of US-Caribbean travelers." Health Promotion, 10(1), 44.
Kim, M., Pennington-Gray, L., & Kim, J. (2020). "Corporate social responsibility as a determinant of long-term orientation." The Service Industries Journal, 40(3-4), 243-267.
Lee, Y.*, Pennington-Gray, L., & Kim, J. (2019). "Does location matter? Exploring the spatial patterns of food safety in a tourism destination." Tourism Management, 71, 18-33.
Xu, Y. H*., Pennington-Gray, L., & Kim, J. (2019). "The sharing economy: A geographically weighted regression approach to examine crime and the shared lodging sector." Journal of travel research, 58(7), 1193-1208.
Liu-Lastres, B.*, Schroeder, A.*, & Pennington-Gray, L. (2019). "Cruise line customers’ responses to risk and crisis communication messages: An application of the risk perception attitude framework." Journal of travel research, 58(5), 849-865.