Skip to Content

Stop Sexual Assault

Help for Survivors

If you have been sexually assaulted, it is not your fault. Help is available.

Know Your Rights

Survivors of sexual assault are afforded certain rights by the university under federal guidelines including assistance by various campus offices including Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention & Prevention, Student Conduct and the UofSC police department.

Contact the police.

Call the UofSC police department at 803-777-4215 or 911 as soon as possible. Reporting the assault is not the same as prosecuting. The decision to pursue legal action can be made later. UofSC police can help connect you with an advocate, take a report, transport you to the hospital and assist you with a court-issued restraining order/order of protection. Consider preserving evidence by avoiding showering or cleaning yourself or your clothing.

Seek professional help.

Trained advocates, who are on call 24/7, can provide support, information and referrals and assist with class schedule and residence hall changes. Contact Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention & Prevention at 803-777-8248. After business hours, call the UofSC police department at 803-777-4215 and ask for a SAVIP advocate.
Confidential resource: This office is not required to disclose the survivor's identity.

Get medical attention.

Getting medical attention immediately after an assault is important, whether or not you report the assault or file charges. Medical attention can detect, document and treat physical injury, sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy. Go to the Palmetto Richland Emergency Room [map] at 5 Richland Medical Park Dr., Columbia, SC 29203.
Confidential resource: This office is not required to disclose the survivor's identity.

Find emotional support.

Trained counselors and psychologists can help you during this difficult time. Call Counseling & Psychiatry at 803-777-5223.
Confidential resource: This office is not required to disclose the survivor's identity.

Contact the UofSC Office of Student Conduct.

After you report the assault, student conduct staff members can conduct an investigation, evaluate conduct charges and determine appropriate resolutions. The staff also can provide a no-contact order as an interim protective measure. If you have questions, contact the Office of Student Conduct at 803-777-4333.

Contact the campus Title IX coordinator.

Title IX is a federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender. Acts of sexual violence constitute sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX. If you have questions contact the Title IX coordinator or call 803-777-3854.


If someone tells you they have been assaulted

Be supportive and let them know that you believe them. Students and university employees can learn how we all can help survivors of sexual assault.

Stop Sexual Assault