This policy outlines the acceptable use of College of Nursing computer resources and protects the College of Nursing, its students, faculty and staff from inappropriate use. As used herein, College of Nursing computers are computers, including, but not limited to installed software, operating systems and storage media that are the property of the University of South Carolina as a result of the College of Nursing's purchase, rental, lending or other actions intended to make computers available to persons, groups or organizations. These systems are to be used only for work-related purposes that serve the interests of the College of Nursing and its students, faculty and staff.
II. General Use
- As noted in University policy UNIV 1.52, “In order to successfully carry out its mission, USC will act to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data, technology, and user credentials USC promotes responsible use and prohibits unauthorized use of these university assets, including for personal or other non-university purposes. Such use may be grounds for investigation and disciplinary action.”
- Users will not save sensitive College of Nursing data (i.e. personnel files, social security numbers, student grades, alumni or donor information) on portable media such as laptops, portable hard drives, flash drives, CDs or DVDs.
- The accidental loss or release of any proprietary or sensitive College of Nursing data must be reported to a College of Nursing dean immediately.
- Users will use caution when opening e-mails and e-mail attachments received from unknown senders, which may contain viruses, Trojans or other malware.
- Users will not use College of Nursing computers to view, print, save or distribute pornographic material.
- Equipment borrowed from the College of Nursing IT Department will be returned at an agreed upon time in the same condition in which it was loaned.
III. Related University Policies