Faculty and Staff
Laura L. Herbert, DNP, APRN, NP-C, FNP-BC
|College of Nursing|
College of Nursing
Dr. Herbert joined the College of Nursing faculty in the fall of 2019. She has been a nurse for over 30 years and has held many different leadership positions, including Assistant Nurse Manager, Nurse Manager, and Director while working in areas such as cardiac telemetry, step-down ICU, cardiopulmonary rehab, diabetes education, nursing education, and the emergency department. She is currently a certified Family Nurse Practitioner with the AANP and ANCC and works in Internal Medicine. Dr. Herbert received an associate degree in Nursing from Midlands Technical College, her undergraduate degree in Health Sciences from the Medical University of South Carolina, her Master of Science in Nursing concentrating in Family Nurse Practitioner from the University of St. Francis, and her Doctorate in Nursing Practice from the University of South Carolina.
Dr. Herbert has taught the following courses:
- Nursing 428 Nursing Leadership and Management
- Nursing 819 Evidence and Nursing Practice
- Nursing 758 Acute Problems in Primary Care for the FNP
DNP project: Discovering Metformin-Induced B12 Deficiency in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes in Primary Care
Herbert, L., Ribar, A., Mitchell, S., & Phillips, C. (2019). Monitoring Metformin-Induced Vitamin B12 Deficiency in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes in Primary Care. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, (Volume Online Now). https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000312
Herbert, L. (2019, April). Discovering Metformin-Induced Vitamin B12 Deficiency in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes in Primary Care. Poster session at University of South Carolina Research Day, Columbia, SC.
Herbert, L. (2016, May). Chlorhexidine Baths to Prevent Blood Stream Infections. Poster session presented at University of St. Francis, Joliet, Illinois.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- South Carolina Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- Capital Nurse Practitioner Group
- Coalition for Access to Healthcare
- The Free Medical Clinic, Family Nurse Practitioner (2019 – present)
- Palmetto Health USC Medical Group, Midlands Internal Medicine, Family Nurse Practitioner (2016 – 2019)
- Palmetto Health Baptist Parkridge, Emergency Department (2013-2015)
- Palmetto Health Richland, Nursing Education (2010-2013)
- Providence Hospital / Providence Heart Institute (1988-2010)
Ribar, A., Jones, K., Johnson, R, Herbert, L., Slone, S. & Andrews, JO. (2021). Applying the Knowledge to Action Model for DNP Program Improvement Podium Presentation American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Doctoral Conference; Virtual
Ribar, A., Herbert, L., Keane, P. (2020). Hereditary hemochromatosis: new guidelines and implications for primary care. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, (Online, in press). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2020.10.016
Sutton, S. & Herbert, L. (2020). COVID compression: Implementing rapid change process to meet student's needs. Presented at the 2020 Octoberbest, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC.