Faculty and Staff
Kathryn Bernheisel, DNP, MPH, FNP-BC
|Title:||Clinical Assistant Professor
|College of Nursing|
College of Nursing
University of South Carolina
1601 Greene Street, Room 605
Columbia, SC 29208-4001
- Doctor of Nursing Practice – Duke University, 2019
- Master of Science and Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Virginia Commonwealth University, 2008, 2006
- Master of Public Health (Epidemiology and Biostatistics) - The George Washington University, 2006
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health - Colorado State University, 2000
Dr. Bernheisel has experience teaching undergraduate and graduate nursing courses including Health Promotion and Risk Reduction in Communities, Population Health, Advanced Health Assessment, Examination and Integration of Professional and Health Care Issues, Adult Medical/Surgical Pathophysiology, Community Health Nursing, Advanced Pharmacology, Epidemiology, Healthcare Data Analysis and Acute Problems in Primary Care.
Dr. Bernheisel’s research interests include health innovation and entrepreneurship, including social entrepreneurship for community and global health; population health, health disparities and health literacy; emerging technology in healthcare; use of advanced technology to support healthcare in underserved areas
Dr. Bernheisel has participated in numerous presentations on health disparities, social determinants of health, and COVID-19 response.
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- American Nurses Association
- Association of Community Health Nursing Educators
Dr. Bernheisel has clinical experience working as a Nurse Practitioner with vulnerable patients, including work with homeless and migrant populations both in clinic and shelter settings. She also has clinical experience in Emergency Medicine, Urgent Care and Occupational Medicine.
Research Studies (Selected)
DNP Defense Project: Assessing readiness to support nursing innovation at an Academic Health Center