The School of Medicine Five Year Strategic Plan (2017-2022) [pdf] positions us to fulfill our mission to serve the people of South Carolina and beyond
through exemplary medical and health education, transformative research, and compassionate
Strategic Goals and Objectives
- Increase grant funding through enhanced collaboration
- Establish a SOM Translational Research Center
- Establish four new focus areas for interdisciplinary
- Facilitate and encourage professional development for all
SOM faculty and staff
- Increase scholarly contributions of faculty and trainees
- Establish new integrated programs to advance the health of populations in the region.
- Enhance data and analytical capabilities in support of patient care and research, building upon critical partnerships.
- Establish at least one additional dual degree program, certificate program, or executive graduate program.
- Work with clinical partners to expand the number of training sites offering an exemplary care and learning environment.
- Establish task force to comprehensively review and identify opportunities for improvement of the SOM medical student curriculum.
- Establish task force to review graduate curricula to identify opportunities for expanding interprofessional learning and for synergy with medical student curriculum.
- Establish a SOM Student Learning Success Center.
- Create a culture that incorporates diversity and inclusion best practices
- Offer annual professional development opportunities around diversity & inclusion.
- Strengthen processes that will contribute to a more diverse and inclusive SOM student
body, faculty, and staff.
- Expand training regarding bias.
- Expand pipeline programs.
- Increase scholarship funding.
- Develop vision for new health sciences campus, in partnership with USC and all USC health sciences schools.
- Maintain current SOM facilities to foster ongoing educational and research success.
- In partnership with USC, raise philanthropic support for new medical school facilities.