There are certain insights that you can only gain by witnessing or experiencing things firsthand. So just imagine the impact of an experience that allows you to travel to a different country where you can attend one of the local colleges or universities. You will be able to smell adventure and taste life in a way that you never thought possible.
Not only can major, minor or general elective credit be earned while abroad, but you can also study a subject or language not offered on campus. You can study in English, or take advantage of the opportunity to develop or perfect foreign language skills.
The Study Abroad Office offers a variety of programs based on the type of experience that you'd like to explore. In addition, there are several opportunities provided exclusively for students in the College of HRSM.
Semester Abroad: Aruba
As a student in the College of HRSM, you have a unique opportunity to participate in a global exchange program with the University of Aruba (UA). The semester-long program is designed to expose HRTM students to a high quality academic program, all in the context of a Caribbean island destination. And you can transfer 15 credit hours back to your UofSC HRTM degree!
Study Abroad, Independent Study, and "Study Away in the U.S.A."
Throughout the year, the College of HRSM faculty lead trips — both domestic and abroad — to destinations and events that are related to a specific area of study. Independent study opportunities are also available. In addition to trips specific to HRSM, students have the whole world to choose from. You can visit the Study Abroad website to search for additional programs.
- Global Exchange Program: University of Aruba
- Global USC in Galapagos: Sustainability with HRTM Professor David Cardenas or SPTE Professor Richard Southall.
- Global Exchange Program: Macao, China with HRTM Professor Rich Harill.
- Global Travel and Tourism: China, London with HRTM Professor Brian Mihalik. The location changes each year.
- Special Topics in Global Sport: Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, United Kingdom with SPTE Professors Mark Nagel or Armen Shaomian. The location rotates each year.
- International Lodging Management in the Czech Republic with HRTM Professor Marketa Kubickova.
- Maymester fashion study abroad program: London, Paris, or Italy with RETL Professor Annette Burnsed. Trip location varies each year.
Independent Study Abroad
- Regent's University London: The Department of Retailing is one of only 10 universities in the United States invited
to participate in the Regent’s University London Summer Study Abroad Fashion Program. Regent's
University London scholarships are available to HRSM Department of Retailing students
via the International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA). Scholarship information is available here.
Study Away in the U.S.A.
- Baseball and the Midwest led by SPTE professor Tom Regan.
- Tournament Planning and Operations: The Carolina Coastal Experience Maymester study tour with SPTE Professor John Grady.
- Disney World, Universal Studios and Sea World with HRTM Professor Scott Smith.
Depending on the program you choose, study abroad tuition and fees may be paid to the University of South Carolina or you might be required to pay tuition and fees directly to the host university or organization. Tuition, travel costs, housing and other living expenses vary depending on your selected program and destination. There are also a variety of scholarship and financial aid opportunities available to students to make study abroad experiences more affordable.