If you are interested in the University of South Carolina's College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management Visiting Scholar Program, please follow the process below:
- Initiate contact with departmental faculty and begin discussions on research projects of shared interest. Use the faculty directories below to identify scholars whose research interests overlap with yours. Contact them to discuss the possibility of a collaboration.
- Develop a shared “research plan” that you and the UofSC faculty member would pursue. Please describe the projects, the types of research questions you will be asking, and the potential contributions your work will make in the academic discipline. Here is a sample research plan for reference.
- Briefly discuss your goals for the visiting scholar experience. What do you want to accomplish while at the University of South Carolina?
- Complete the College of HRSM Visiting Scholar Application Form.
After your application is submitted to the College of HRSM, the processing flow will generally be:
- HRSM considers the application with the sponsoring faculty member and the department.
- If approved, HRSM issues a letter of invitation (usually signed by the dean or associate dean who oversees international cooperation).
- HRSM forwards the required document to the University of South Carolina Office for International Scholars with applicant’s passport information.
- OIS submits the application to the U.S. government (proof of financial information needed).
- Once an application is approved, a DS1029 form is issued.
- Applicant applies for J visa in the home country.
*Typically, an HRSM faculty member will host no more than two visiting scholars at the same time. The faculty member may choose to forward applicants’ information to an HRSM faculty colleague if the colleague is deemed to be a better fit for the visiting scholar's research interests.
For more information, contact:
Lin Wang, international programs coordinator