Faculty and Staff
Mike Moody, M.R.
|Department:||Department of Retailing
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
Ph.D., Retailing with an emphasis in social media recruiting, Clemson University
M.R., Retailing, University of South Carolina, 2005
B.S., Retailing with emphasis in retail management, University of South Carolina, 1992
Michael Moody serves as an instructor in the Department of Retailing in the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management at the University of South Carolina. Prior to becoming an instructor, Moody was the director of practicum and internships in the Department of Retailing. Under Moody’s direction, interns have been placed with major retailers such as Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus, Belk, Wal-Mart, Dillards, Macys, Lowes, Target, and Kohls. Fashion students have been placed with the Paris Fashion Institute, Vera Wang, Escada, Gucci, Cole Hahn, Ralph Lauren, Betsy Johnson, Theory, Bulgari and other major fashion houses.
Moody has experience in retailing management positions and pharmaceutical sales. He teaches sales, retail shopper behavior, promotion, consumer economics, merchandise management strategies and social media recruiting.
- RETL 350 – Sales Strategies
- RETL 369 – Retail Promotion
- RETL 425 – Consumer Behavior
- RETL 462 – Strategic Merchandising Strategies
Honors and awards
- Nominated and selected by Volleyball Team as MVP Professor of the Semester, Fall, 2014.
- Nominated and selected by Alpha Chi Omega sorority as Professor of the
Semester, Fall, 2013, 2015, 2016.
- Nominated for Teacher of the Year Award in the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management, University of South Carolina, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008.
Burnsed, A., Strubel, J. and Moody, M. “Investigation of U.S. generational cohorts’ home furnishings expenditures.” American International Journal of Contemporary Research.
Fowler, D., and Moody, M. (Submitted, 2005). “Why Mexicans cross the border to shop in the United States.” Journal of Borderland Studies.
Master’s thesis: "Crossborder shopping: Interpreting how Mexicans explain crossing the border to shop in the United States," 2005.
Dissertation: “Students’ perceptions of social media usefulness when selecting a university.”
- American Collegiate Retailing Association / The American Marketing Association in Miami, March, 2015.
- International Textile and Apparel Association, Charlotte, N.C. “Investigation of U. S. Generational Cohorts’ Home Furnishings Expenditures,” November 2014.
- Presentation to Paris Fashion Institute faculty and students, Paris, France. 2006.