Faculty and Staff
Tangali S. Sudarshan
|Title:||Carolina Distinguished Professor Emeritus, Electrical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
Dr. Sudarshan's specializations and research interests include:
- Novel techniques of growth of silicon carbide (SiC) bulk and epitaxial films
- Surface modification to produce porous SiC
- SiC material and device processing – wafering, surface polishing, oxidation, mask technology, dopant diffusion, and metalization
- Fabrication and characterization of SiC high power Schottky and pn diodes
- Novel defect characterization methods for wide bandgap semiconductors. High field effects in SiC-based electronic materials and devices
- High power solid-state switches; electron emission from thin films, as cold cathodes, for applications in field emission displays
- Microspacer insulation for flat panel displays
- Solid, liquid and gas insulated systems for high voltage power apparatus, underground power cable, overhead transmission systems and pulsed power systems
- Surface flashover of solid dielectrics and photoconducting materials in high vacuum and compressed gas systems
- Fast high voltage and current diagnostics, and low light level imaging; electric field studies using numerical techniques
- Insulator degradation and aging, coronas and arcs, power system protection.
- Ph. D., Electrical Engineering (High Voltage Electrical Engr.)
University of Waterloo, Ontario, October 1974.
Thesis title: Flashover of Solid Insulators in Vacuum
- M. A. Sc., Electrical Engineering (High Voltage Engineering)
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, August 1972
Thesis title: Field Enhancement Due to Solid Insulators Subjected to High DC Stresses in Vacuum
- M. Sc., Physics (Solid state)
University of Mysore, Mysore, India, June, 1970
- B. Sc., (Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry)
University of Bangalore, Bangalore, India, May 1968
- "Investigations of defect evolution and basal plane dislocation elimination in CVD epitaxial growth of silicon carbide on eutectic etched epilayers," Haizheng Song, Tawhid Rana, and Tangali S. Sudarshan, Journal of Crystal Growth, v. 320, Issue 1, p. 95-102, April 2011.
- "Effect of threading screw and edge dislocations on transport properties of 4H-SiC homoepitaxial layers," by S. I. Maximenko, J. A. Freitas, Jr., R. L. Myers-Ward, K. K. Lew, B. L. VanMil, C. R. Eddy, Jr., D. K. Gaskill, P. G. Muzykov, and T. S. Sudarshan, Journal of Applied Physics, 108, 013708, July 8, 2010.
- "Cathodoluminescence Study of the Properties of Stacking Faults in 4H-SiC Homoepitaxial Layers," by Serguei I. Maximenko, Jaime A. Freitas, Jr., Paul B. Klein, Amitesh Shrivastava, and Tangali S. Sudarshan, Applied Physics Letters, 94, 092101, March 2009.
- "Physical Phenomena Affecting Performance and Reliability of 4H-SiC Bipolar Junction Transistors," by Peter G. Muzykov, Robert M. Kennedy, Qingchun (Jon) Zhang, Craig Capell, Al Burk, Anant Agarwal, Tangali S. Sudarshan, Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 49, Issue 1, pp. 32-37, January 2009.