Faculty and Staff
Travis W. Knight
|Title:||Interim Chair and Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Program Director, Nuclear Engineering Graduate Program
College of Engineering and Computing
300 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Dr. Knight's research and interests are in the areas of Advanced nuclear fuels and materials, Nuclear safeguards, Nuclear fuel cycle, Alternative uses of nuclear power including hydrogen, space nuclear power and propulsion.
- Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering Science, University of Florida, 2000
- M.S., Nuclear Engineering Science, University of Florida, 1995
- B.S., Nuclear Engineering, University of Florida, 1994
- Breakthrough Leadership in Research Award, University of South Carolina, 2020
- Research Achievement Award, College of Engineering, University of South Carolina, 2018
- 2012 Joseph M. Biedenbach Distinguished Service Award, University of South Carolina
- 2011 Fred C. Davison Distinguished Scientist Award
- Significant Contribution Award by Material Science and Technology Division of the American Nuclear Society, 2001
- National engineering honor society Tau Beta Pi
- Nuclear-engineering honor society Alpha Nu Sigma
- Meredith, A. D., T. W. Knight, R. Noe, "Modified Sodium Diuranate Process for the Recovery of Uranium from Uranium Hexafluoride Transport Cylinder Wash Solution", Separation Science and Technology, accepted September 2014
- Inabinett, D., T. W. Knight, J. Gray, and T. Adams, "Study of XeF2 fluorination potential against Rh2O3, RuO2, ZrO2, and U3O8 for use in reactive gas recycle of used nuclear fuel", Progress in Nuclear Energy,76, September 2014, Pages 106–111
- Inabinett, D., T. W. Knight, J. Gray, and T. Adams, "Study of XeF2 Fluorination Potential Against SrO, MoO3, and Nb2O5 in TG/DTA for Use in Reactive Gas Recycle", Progress in Nuclear Energy, 68, September 2013, Pages 16-19.
- Porter, I. E., T. W. Knight, M.C. Dulude, E. Roberts, and J. Hobbs, "Design and fabrication of an advanced TRISO fuel with ZrC coating" Nuclear Engineering and Design, 259, June 2013, pages 180-186.
- Read, Jr., C. M., T. W. Knight, K. S. Allen, "Development of a Multi-Tiered Recycling Strategy with a Sodium-Cooled Heterogeneous Innovative Burner Reactor", Progress in Nuclear Energy, 62, January 2013, pages 72-78.
- Inabinett, D., G. Cerefice, T. W. Knight, Adams, and J. Gray, "Alternate Fluorination Approaches for Reactive Gas Recycle of Used Nuclear Fuel". Transactions Of the American Nuclear Society 2012 Winter Meeting, San Diego, CA, Nov. 11-Nov. 15, 2012.
- Allen, K.S., T. W. Knight, C. M. Read Jr., "Design of an Equilibrium Core 1000 MWt Sodium-Cooled Heterogeneous Innovative Burner Reactor". Nuclear Engineering and Design, 242, January 2012,, pages 108-114
- Hawkins, B. and T. W. Knight, "Characterization of Radiation Fields and Dose Assessment from Fuels Manufacturing for Advanced Fuel Cycles" Nuclear Engineering and Design, September 2011, pages 3736-3747.
- Tincher, D. and T. W. Knight, "Feasibility Study of Minor Actinide Transmutation in Light Water Reactors with Various Am/Cm Separation Efficiencies", Nuclear Engineering and Design, 241, 12, December 2011, pages 5295-5307.
- Read, Jr., C. M. T. W. Knight, K. S. Allen, "Using a Modified CINDER90 Routine in MCNPX 2.6.0 for the Prediction of Helium Production in Minor Actinide Targets". Nuclear Engineering and Design, 241, 12, December 2011, pages 5033-5038.
- Allen, K.S., T. W. Knight, S. E. Bays, "Actinide Destruction and Power Peaking Analysis in a 1000 MWt Advanced Burner Reactor Using Moderated Heterogeneous Target Assemblies", Progress in Nuclear Energy, 53, 4, May 2011, pages. 375-394.
- Allen, K.S., T. W. Knight, S. E. Bays, "Benchmark of Advanced Burner Test Reactor Using MCNPX and ERANOS 2.1" Progress in Nuclear Energy, 53, 6, August 2011, pages 633-644.
- Vasudevamurthy, G., T. W. Knight, T. M. Adams, and E. Roberts, "Production and Characterization of ZrC-UC Inert Matrix Composite Fuel for Gas Fast Reactors", Nuclear Technology, 173, 2, February 2011.
- Coleman, J. R. and T. W. Knight, "Evaluation of multiple, self-recycling of reprocessed uranium in LWR".Nuclear Engineering and Design, 240 (2010), pages 1028-1032.
- Allen, K.S., T. W. Knight, "Destruction Rate Analysis of Transuranic Targets in SFR Assemblies Using MCNPX and SCALE 6.0". Progress in Nuclear Energy, 52, 4, May 2010, pages 387-39.4
- Khan, J. A. T. W. Knight, S. B. Pakala, W. Jiang, and J. S. Tulenko, "Enhanced Thermal Conductivity for LWR Fuel" Nuclear Technology, 169, 1, January 2010, pages 61-72.
- T. W. Knight, "Innovations in Distance Learning at University of South Carolina Nuclear Engineering Program", Conference on Nuclear Training and Education (CONTE09), Jacksonville, FL, February 2009.
- Foley, T. Q. and T. W. Knight, "Fuel Cycle Analysis of GFR Using Advanced Fuels". Progress in Nuclear Energy, 51 (2009), pages 109-123.
- Vasudevamurthy, G., T. W. Knight, "Production of High Density Uranium Carbide compacts for use in Composite Nuclear Fuels". Nuclear Technology, 163, 2, August 2008, pages 321-327.
- Vasudevamurthy, G., T. W. Knight, E. Roberts, and T. Adams, "Laboratory Production of Zirconium Carbide Compacts for Use in Composite Nuclear Fuels" Journal of Nuclear Materials, 347, 1-2, 2008, pages 241-247.
- Vasudevamurthy, G., T. W. Knight, "Effect of system parameters on size distribution of 304 Stainless Steel particles produced by Electrical Discharge Mechanism", Materials Letters, 61, 27, November 2007.
- Lobach, S. Y., T. W. Knight, N. Jacob, and E. Athon, "Advanced TRISO Fuels with Zirconium Carbide for High Temperature Reactors". Proceedings of Global 2007 Advanced Nuclear Fuel Cycles and Systems, September 9-13, 2007.
- Lovett, H. A., T. W. Knight, M. A. Garland, and S. Mirzadeh, "Evaluation of Tellurium-125 Metastable Production Pathways", Transactions Of the American Nuclear Society 2007 Winter Meeting, Boston, MA, June 24-28, 2007.
- Eargle, J., M. Gorensek, and T. W. Knight, "HyS Thermochemical-Hybrid Cycle Using Heat Exchanger Network Synthesis and Pinch Technology" Transactions of the American Nuclear Society 2005 Winter Meeting, November 13-17, 2005.
- T. W. Knight, M. Garland, and A. Bayoumi, "The Nuclear Sun Shines Bright on South Carolina", Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Meeting, Portland, Oregon, June 2005.
- Anghaie, S. T. W. Knight, R. Norring, and B. M. Smith, "Optimum Utilization of Nuclear Fuel with Gas and Vapor Core Reactors". Progress in Nuclear Energy, Vol. 47, No. 1-4, pages 74-90, 2005.
- T. W. Knight and S. Anghaie, "Processing and Fabrication of Mixed Uranium/Refractory Metal Carbide Fuels with Liquid-Phase Sintering". Journal of Nuclear Materials, 306, November 2002, pages 54-60.
- T. W. Knight, G. R. Dalton, and J. S. Tulenko, "Virtual Radiation Fields--A Virtual Environment Tool for Radiological Analysis and Simulation" Nuclear Technology, 117, 2, February 1997.