Any student enrolled at the University of South Carolina may choose this minor except for students with majors in the School of Information Science.
Informatics opens up a vast landscape of career opportunities, including:
- Software developers
- Data scientists
- User experience designers and researchers
- Product managers
- Knowledge managers
- Information architects
Required Courses (9 Hours)
- ISCI 201 - Introduction to Information Science
Major concepts, principles, theories, issues, and trends in the development of Information Science.
- ISCI 301 - Information Storage and Retrieval
Introduction to the concepts, issues, theories, and techniques of information storage and retrieval systems.
- ISCI 410 - Knowledge Management
An introduction to the background, principles, practices, and technologies of knowledge management for library and information professionals.
Electives (9 Hours)
- Select 9 hours from any additional ISCI courses. ISCI 480 (Emerging Topics in Information Science) may be repeated for credit with different topics.