Any student enrolled at the University of South Carolina may choose this minor except for students with majors in the School of Information Science. Are you interested in adding this minor? Subscribe to get detailed info and support »
Informatics opens up a vast landscape of career opportunities, including:
- Software developers
- Data scientists
- User experience designers and researchers
- Product managers
- Knowledge managers
- Information architects
Required Courses (9 Hours)
- SLIS 201 - Introduction to Information Science
Major concepts, principles, theories, issues, and trends in the development of Information Science.
- SLIS 301 - Information Storage and Retrieval
Introduction to the concepts, issues, theories, and techniques of information storage and retrieval systems.
- SLIS 410 - Knowledge Management
An introduction to the background, principles, practices, and technologies of knowledge management for library and information professionals.
Electives (9 Hours)
- Select 9 hours from any additional SLIS courses. SLIS 480 (Emerging Topics in Information Science) may be repeated for credit with different topics.