If you’re applying to one of our graduate programs, start by gathering your materials and information.
Complete the online Graduate School application. A School of Information Science supplemental application is part of the application. It has an essay requirement. You must write your essay in response to the five statements included in the instructions.
We do not require scores from the GRE or MAT for the MLIS degree. If you have current scores and would like to submit them with the application, we will review them with the other application materials. If you choose to submit a test score, you’ll need your official score from the GRE (the UofSC institution code is 5818) or MAT.
- For students taking the GRE, scores need to be at least 294 (verbal + quantitative) with a score of at least 153 on the verbal section and 4.0 on the writing section.
- For students taking the MAT (must have been taken within the past five years), official scores need to be at least 410.
Other application requirements include:
- Your official academic transcripts from all schools attended — whether or not you earned a degree.
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Students who do not have a 3.0 may still be admitted. Contact us if you have questions about your GPA.
- Professional résumé.
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters should evaluate your undergraduate or graduate academic performance or your job performance. Letters from friends and relatives about your personal attributes will not be accepted. If you have questions, call the admissions coordinator at 803-777-5067 for guidance.
- International students whose native language is not English must provide proof of English language proficiency. View international applicant requirements»
The application must be submitted online and requires an application fee. Your application will not be processed at the Graduate School without the $50 fee. It is best to pay the fee online with a credit or debit card. You may submit supporting documents after submitting your application. Your application will not be reviewed until all required documents are received. It’s best to arrange for document transfers and transcripts well in advance of the application deadline.
|Term||Priority Deadlines||Final Deadline|
|Fall*||December 1, March 1, May 1||July 15|
|Spring*||November 1||December 1|
|Summer||March 1||April 1|
* Students who submit their application and Graduate Assistant application by priority deadlines will be considered first for open GA positions.
*Applicants who wish to be considered for a graduate assistantship should complete the graduate assistantship application. The deadline for GA applications is April 1 for the Fall and Summer terms and October 15 for the Spring term.