Spring 2023 Call for Nominations
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is pleased to invite nominations for the annual Undergraduate Teaching Award for professional track faculty. The purpose of this award is to recognize excellence in instruction in the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of South Carolina by instructional faculty members.
Each recipient will receive a $2,000 award. There will be one recipient in the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences and one recipient in Math, Statistics and the Sciences.
Nomination Submission Deadline: April 7, 2023.
Awards will be announced before the end of the semester.
Eligibility for the award is limited to full-time (FTE) instructional faculty engaged in undergraduate instruction, who have been employed by the college a minimum of three consecutive years at the time of their nomination, and hold the title of instructor, senior instructor, lecturer, clinical instructor, or clinical professor (any rank). Tenured and tenure-track faculty are not eligible to be nominated.
1. Individual faculty members, programs, departments or student organizations may submit one or more nominations for a teaching award. Nominators should coordinate their nominations and completion of the award application with the nominee and chair/director of the nominee’s department or program.
2. Supporting data for each nominee shall be submitted in the following order in a consolidated PDF:
- Nomination title page
- A brief curriculum vita of nominee (3 page limit)
- A letter from the department chair, program director. or nominating committee chair supporting the nomination and stressing the nominee’s contributions to the academic mission of the department. The letter should indicate what qualities make this nominee extraordinary, not just very good or consistent, but how they have made an unusual impact in teaching. The letter should also highlight the contributions and achievements of the nominee that indicate dedication to and excellence in teaching. The letter writer should include a summary of student and/or peer assessments of courses taught.
- One supporting letter from a colleague (other than a student) who is qualified and specifically asked to comment on the nominee’s teaching capabilities.
- A one page summary of teaching philosophy and any supplemental materials the nominee wishes to submit.
The deadline for the receipt of completed nominations is Friday, April 7, 2023. Nominations should be submitted via email to email@example.com as a consolidated PDF containing the material outlined above.
Award applications will be reviewed by the College of Arts and Sciences Senior Staff and up to three faculty members appointed by the Dean.
Please contact Dr. Claudia Benitez-Nelson in the Dean's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.