Courses of Study
We offer both a B.A. and a minor course of study. You can find our course schedule and program descriptions in the academic bulletin.
B.A with Distinction
The Bachelor of Arts with Distinction for history majors requires a rigorous course of study above and beyond that required of a traditional history student.
- Maintain a 3.5 cumulative GPA.
- Maintain 3.6 major GPA.
- Complete an additional 9 hours of history courses at the 200-level or higher (maximum of two 200-level courses may count toward the History major).
- Notify the professor of your senior seminar or senior thesis in writing of your intention to pursue a degree “with distinction” and complete to the professor’s satisfaction the additional research necessary for work “with distinction”.
- Publicly present your research project at Discovery Day.
- Print and sign a B.A. with Distinction contract [pdf link].
- Print and sign a senior seminar thesis contract [pdf link].
Charles W. Coolidge Award 2021-2022 Application
The application for the 2021-2022 Charles W. Coolidge Award is now available! Applicants must submit their completed application and supporting materials via email to email@example.com by Monday, February 22nd, 2021 at 4pm. [PDF link]
• Must be a History major
• Must be a rising Junior or rising Senior (Have earned min. 60 hours after Spring
• Must have a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher.
Given to USC history majors in memory of the late Professor Charles W. Coolidge, who taught at USC from 1957 until his death in 1996 and was widely known to three generations of Carolina students, the awards are offered to juniors and seniors majoring in history and are awarded on a competitive basis.
We have two dedicated student-services staff members in our department, Tyler Mcnamara and Jay Pou. They're happy to advise you on course and career advising, study abroad, internship opportunities, and anything else you need to make your time in the history department more rewarding.
We also work hard to make sure all our students are able to take the classes that are interesting to them. If a class is full, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com regarding course override inquiries.
Looking for more specific information, like what classes you'll need to take to graduate, learning outcomes, and which classes we offer? The academic bulletin is the university's official document of record concerning undergraduate-level academic programs and regulations.