Ann Johnson Institute Call for Book Manuscript Workshop
The Ann Johnson Institute (AJI) for Science, Technology and Society at the University of South Carolina welcomes applications for a one-day book manuscript workshop to be held in the Winter/Spring Term 2023.
This workshop is targeted towards individuals at any career stage who have not previously published a monograph. We are happy to consider individuals with or without publishing contracts. The successful applicant will have a first-time book manuscript near completion at the time of applying. He or she will invite, and the AJI will fund, up to three senior experts in the author’s field. A small group of relevant experts within the South Carolina community may also attend.
The purpose of this workshop is to support stronger and more rigorous manuscripts from first-time STS authors. Equally, it is geared toward developing communities of colleagues from different disciplines and geographical locations. The AJI is committed to building such communities from the bottom up, seeding them and positioning them to question and reframe complex problems. The AJI takes a broad approach to STS, envisioning it in partnership with historical, philosophical, scientific, engineering and medical approaches, because at the AJI community is the method.
- The successful applicant will be expected to deliver a full draft of their manuscript to all workshop participants no later than one month before the workshop convenes
- During the workshop five hours will be devoted to a chapter-level discussion of the manuscript, with a break in the middle for lunch
- There will be a notetaker and moderator for the duration of the workshop
- The workshop will end with a dinner
- Invited experts will provide written feedback to the author after the workshop, this feedback will take the form of a manuscript review from a university press
Applications will require:
- Short CV
- One-page description of the book project, including its current stage of development
- Four to five names of senior experts to invite, please include their rank, University or home department, their field/specialty, and briefly why you would like to invite them (two sentences)
Our 2023 Writer's Retreat is scheduled for June 17-June 23, and we have a wonderful location we look forward to revealing when applications open. Come back for the application link, which will be available November 1, 2022. The application form closes on December 1, 2022 and the recipients of our Writer's Retreat slots will be notified in early January. Look for more details on this year's theme and our expectations for attendees, coming soon.
The AJI recognizes that attending cross-disciplinary conferences and meetings is often vital to the development of interdisciplinary collaborations, as well as the foundational work of understanding and integrating into a second discipline. Yet funding for cross-disciplinary conferences may be difficult to source. The AJI supports both humanists and scientists who wish to attend a cross-disciplinary conference. We support cross-disciplinary conferences and meetings broadly with the STS disciplines. For instance, a graduate student in history may wish to attend an engineering conference; a philosophy graduate student may be invited to present a paper at a public health meeting.
- Funding is offered on a competitive basis
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis
- Applications should be made no less than one month before anticipated travel
Funding for cross-disciplinary travel grants are offered on a competitive basis at any time during the year. To apply please email the below information to email@example.com with “Graduate Travel Grant” in the subject heading.
- Short CV
- One-page description of how the conference will support your interdisciplinary work. We are particularly interested in how attending this conference or meeting may build or sustain an interdisciplinary community, or lay the groundwork for one by helping you integrate yourself into this discipline. Please include name of conference, location and dates.
Our upcoming events and applications deadlines are listed on our calendar.