Skip to Content

Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Requirements for Non-Degree Students

You should complete a non-degree student application if you are: 

  • A transient or visiting student from another college who wishes to take a few courses but will graduate from your 4-year "home" college. You must submit written transient permission for those courses from your "home" college advisor, dean, or registrar. If your college or university does not have their own transient approval form, use the UofSC Visiting / Transient Student Approval form. We will not process any transient/visiting application without written approval from your “home” institution. 
  • A college graduate needing additional credits to qualify for admission to a graduate or professional school. You must supply proof of your degree by submitting an official transcript showing degree and date awarded. Please note that a diploma (or copy of a diploma) is considered a ceremonial document and cannot be used for admission purposes.
  • A senior citizen taking one or more classes for personal enrichment via tuition waiver.

Is financial aid or housing available? 

Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid or veterans' benefits. In addition, campus housing is generally not available, except during summer terms. An exception is made for International Student Exchange students who are housed on campus during the regular terms. 

I am active-duty military. Can I take classes?

Men and women on active duty with the armed forces who do not plan to work toward a degree at this time may be admitted to the university as non-degree military special students. Active duty orders are required to certify active duty status.

Active duty military personnel may also choose to apply to the USC Fort Jackson Military Associate Program using the appropriate online degree-seeking application. In addition, all military students (regardless of active duty status) are welcome to apply to a bachelor's degree program using one of the university's standard degree-seeking applications for admission (standard application fees and requirements apply.)

Please note transfer credit for military students will be evaluated only for those students accepted as traditional degree-seeking students.

The application fee is waived for active duty military personnel applying for the non-degree military special program or the USC Fort Jackson Military Associate Program.

How do I apply?

Apply by completing a non-degree application.

What is the application fee?

A nonrefundable fee of $25 is required with this application. International students must pay a nonrefundable application fee of $100. The application fee is waived for active duty military personnel applying for the non-degree military special program.

Please note:

  • Students who do not meet Columbia degree-seeking admission requirements may not be eligible for non-degree admission.
  • Transient permission from the "home" institution must be granted for all transient (visiting) applicants. However, transient permission from the home institution does not imply or guarantee admission into the University of South Carolina.
  • The Office of Undergraduate Admissions determines the appropriate credentials required in order to consider your application for admission. When necessary, we may ask for additional transcripts in order to assess your admissibility, academic preparation, and potential for success as a UofSC student.
  • All non-degree students are admitted on a space-available basis and register for available courses after currently enrolled UofSC degree-seeking students. In some cases permission of the department of instruction may be required.
  • The University of South Carolina will only accept an official transcript showing degree and date awarded as proof of degree.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.