Summer 2022 compensation actions for FTE faculty are submitted electronically through HCM PeopleSoft. The PBP-2-S paper form is strictly used to process employment for summer instruction temporary faculty who worked in the previous spring 2022 semester.
Resources and Guidelines:
There are three different types of summer eForms that can be used:
1) Summer Hire eForm
This eForm is used to initiate summer compensation (instruction and ECOM/research) requests for FTE faculty.
- Submit one course or ECOM/research assignment per eForm.
- To initiate a Summer Hire for Instruction, use this job aid [pdf].
- To initiate a Summer Hire for ECOM/Research, use this job aid [pdf]
- To see how the Summer Hire eForm lists other active summer jobs, use this job aid [pdf].
- All summer compensation requests require offer letters. Use this template [docx] for FTE faculty.
- Use this calculator [xlsx] to help track summer compensation for FTE faculty to ensure earnings do not exceed the maximum allowed earnings for Summer Compensation.
2) Summer Job Change eForm
This eForm is used to initiate changes to currently active summer appointments for one of three reasons:
- Compensation change – Job Aid [pdf]
- End-date or supervisor change – Job Aid [pdf]
3) Status Change eForm
This eForm is used to initiate separations prior to the expected end-date for currently active summer appointments.
The PBP-2-S paper form [pdf] is used to process:
- Compensation for summer school instruction for adjunct faculty (TFACs) who taught in the Spring 2022 semester.
- Changes to compensation due to course enrollment increase or decrease for TFACs who taught in the Spring 2022 semester.
- Separation of summer employment only if ending early for TFACs who taught in the Spring 2022 semester.
All summer compensation requests require offer letters.
Submit all completed forms and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding changes for FTE faculty summer compensation follow the same rules as all other employee types.
- Current and future dated changes are initiated on the Account Funding Change eForm in HCM.
- Retro changes will be handled through the paper process [pdf].
All summer compensation requests for FTE faculty and TFACs require offer letters. Use the applicable template provided below:
Use this calculator [xlsx] to help track summer compensation for FTE faculty to ensure earnings do not exceed the maximum allowed earnings for Summer Compensation.
- The calculator is a job aid for hiring units and does not need to be attached to eForms in HCM.
- The calculator requires the employee’s pay basis, base salary, and projected earnings for summer instruction and ECOM to calculate the maximum allowable earnings.
- It is recommended that you save the completed document for future adjustments to earnings as courses and ECOMs are added, changed and/or deleted.
Use this job aid [pdf] to run queries for summer hires within your security.
- Summer Compensation will be aligned on the same schedule as the faculty’s base pay
of current or lag. All TFACs will be paid on a lag.
- Summer compensation is not Dual Employment or additional pay, both of which cover
compensation earned during the faculty’s base period of employment (contract period).
- FTE faculty do not accrue sick leave while in temporary employment status for summer.
- Summer compensation begins 05/16/2021 and ends 08/15/2021. FTE Faculty cannot be paid
for summer compensation until the 5/16/2021 – 5/31/2021 payroll, regardless of when
the summer instruction begins. ECOM cannot begin before 5/16.
- Colleges and comprehensive universities must coordinate requests for cross-campus,
department, or college summer appointments.
- The USC system holds total compensation for summer compensation to 33.33% of the FTE
faculty member’s base salary for the preceding academic year. This percentage may
fluctuate slightly depending upon the number of workdays available each year. Exceptions
require prior approval by the Office of the Provost or the Chancellor for comprehensive
universities or Palmetto College. If an exception is being requested for summer instruction
for FTE faculty on the Columbia campus the Summer Hire eForm will automatically workflow
to Provost for approval. If an exception is being requested for summer instruction
for FTE faculty on the comprehensive universities or Palmetto College campuses, the
initiator must attach approval documentation to the Summer hire eForm. There are no exceptions to Extra Compensation, which is capped at the rate of pay
for the previous academic year.
- For summer 2022, there are 66 workdays for 9-month faculty, so total compensation
for 2022 summer employment may not exceed 33.85%. For 10.5 or 11-month faculty, earnings
are pro-rated based on the available workdays for the time outside the contract basis.
Please refer to the faculty’s original offer letter to determine the time-out-of-contract
basis and manually count the available workdays for that time. Faculty in 10.5 and 11-month pay basis must consistently take the same time-out-of-contract
- The base salary is the ending compensation earned in the preceding academic year (as
of 5/15/2021), which does not include any potential general increases, supplements,
or other non-base payments.
- All requests for exceptions are subject to review and approval by UofSC Division of Human Resources to ensure compliance with state regulations.