Below are resources available to allow USC employees. More information on how to use the services below can be found at our Knowledge Base.
A variety of circumstances might require you to temporarily work from home with minimal notice: a campus closure, a natural disaster, etc. The Division of Information Technology is here to support USC employees as they work remotely when these unexpected events occur.
If you need technology assistance while working remotely you have several options:
- Submit a service ticket
- Contact our Service Desk at 803-777-1800
- See our Knowledge Base for instructions on how to self-service
- See our IT Security page for information on how to stay secure while working from home
Many university tools, such as email, Microsoft Teams and other Office 365 applications are cloud-based and do NOT require VPN for connectivity. VPN is only required when connecting to USC internal resources such as Banner or PeopleSoft. To gain access to internal resources remotely, users should use VPN Services (the FacStaff VPN group) supported by the DoIT. The VPN login process will require users to authenticate using Duo before connecting. There are several Knowledge Base articles within ServiceNow on how to install the VPN Cisco AnyConnect Client on Windows, Macs and handheld devices such as iPhones, iPads and Androids. The ServiceDesk is also available at 803-777-1800 for assistance.
The IT Security page offers resources and tips that will help staff and faculty members work securely from home.
There are several ways staff members can receive calls and voicemails from their work phone. Staff members can:
If you need assistance setting up these services, please submit a ticket, or call the Service Desk at 803-777-1800.
The Division of IT recommends several online meeting resources supported by the university to keep our staff members connected and working collaboratively.
- Microsoft Teams - Use Teams for group chats, or to deploy meetings including audio and video conferencing. This is the recommended platform. If you need assistance with Microsoft Teams, our Service Portal allows you to request support through the DoIT. Simply search for "Microsoft Teams" and submit your request.
- Office 365 - A variety of tools are available through Office 365. The cloud-based technology allows employees to access information on any kind of device.
- Blackboard Collaborate - A free service to all university staff and executives that provides web-based conferencing
and teleconferencing, much like Skype for Business, Zoom, or WebEx. This platform is preferred for pedagogical purposes.
We are aware that many instructors and groups are using Zoom. Be aware that many security issues have been reported with Zoom, which is not supported by the university at this time. If you choose to use Zoom, please follow these guidelines.
DoIT Service Portal
Working remotely with Office 365.
Security Measures for Zoom.
Microsoft Teams Resources:
Request Microsoft Teams Help
Adding a member to your Microsoft Team.
End user training for Microsoft Teams
Information about the NOVEL CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
For Technical Support please call 803-777-1800
See our IT Security page for information on how to stay secure while working from home
This page will be updated as new information emerges