Faculty and Staff
Sam Y. Todd, Ph.D.
|Title:||Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, Diversity and Operations
|Department:||Department of Sport and Entertainment Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
|Office:||Carolina Coliseum, 1010 C|
Ph.D., Florida State, 2003
M.S., Florida State, 2001
B.S., Erskine College, 1998
Sam Y. Todd received his bachelor's degree in sport administration from Erskine College in Due West, S.C., and both his Master of Science and Doctor of Sport Management from Florida State University. Todd previously spent 14 years in various capacities at Georgia Southern University.
Honors and awards
- Georgia Southern University Excellence in Research Award in 2010, given to two faculty out of 850 each year. Recipient delivers a “Focus on Research” lecture to a University audience every fall
- Recipient of county-level teaching award (inclusive of K through 12, and University level) in Bulloch County, GA (Bulloch County “Best of the ‘Boro” Best Teacher, 2010)
- Recipient of the Georgia Southern “Unsung Hero” award in 2007 for excellence in mentoring of undergraduate students, given to one faculty member out of 850 each year
- Doctoral Student Research Award for the North American Society of Sport Management in 2003, given to one doctoral student (sport management discipline) in North America each year. Recipient gives the keynote presentation at the president’s luncheon during the annual meeting of the society every year
- SPTE 450–Sales in Sport and Entertainment Business
Todd's primary research interest is in people at work. Recently he has investigated the connection between various employee attitudes and work outcomes, as well as the attraction applicants have for certain industry job openings. Outside of sport industry contexts, he has also explored the relationship between strategic human resource management and firm performance.
Sato, S., Gipson, C., Todd, S. Y., and Harada, M. (in press). "The relationship between sport tourists’ perceived value and destination loyalty: An experience-use history segmentation approach." Journal of Sport and Tourism.
Magnusen, M., and Todd, S. Y. (2016). "Welcome to the arena: An introduction to the special issue on power and politics in sport." Journal of Applied Sport Management, 8(3), 1-5.
Todd, S. Y., Magnusen, M, Lachowetz, T., and Jones, A. (2016). "Knowing your fans: A case study of survey research in a collegiate ticket office." Case Studies in Sport Management Journal, 5(14).
Magnusen, M., and Todd, S. Y. (2015). "Coming soon to an entertainment organization near you: Video realistic job preview as a way to increase the quality of applicant pools." Sport & Entertainment Review, 1, 51-56.
Todd, S. Y., Magnusen, M., Andrew, D. P. S., and Lachowetz, T. (2014). "From great expectations to realistic career outlooks: Exploring changes in job seeker perspectives following a realistic job preview in sport." Sport Management Education Journal, 8, 58-70.
Professional affiliations and consulting experiences
- North American Society for Sport Management
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Previous consulting projects include: BB&T Atlanta Open tennis tournament, Atlanta Hawks, Indiana Pacers, Major League Soccer, Norfolk Tides Minor League Baseball Club, Pittsburgh Pirates, Georgia Southern Athletics, and Orlando Magic