Course of Study
If you're pursuing a degree in classics, French, German or Spanish you're eligible
to pursue their pre-K-12 teacher certification in those languages.
The Kyrl Leighton-Faxford de Gravelines Scholarship is awarded each year to one, two
or three rising senior majors in foreign language who demonstrate:
- A sincere desire to teach foreign languages as a career as evidenced by a statement
from the candidate and recommendations of teachers.
- Clear excellence in the candidate’s academic record, particularly in the language
of study as evidenced by a transcript and vita.
Term of Award: Awarded as tuition remission for following fall semester at USC-Columbia.
Application to include:
- Completed Application Form
- Transcript (official or unofficial)
- Personal statement of career intention (one-page minimum)
- Two (2) recommendations from faculty.
We encourage you to study aborad either during the year or for one of our summer study
abroad programs in French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish. These experiences
are invaluable for improving your language skills and cultural knowledge, study abroad
experience is also an attractive addition to your résumé.
If you're studying abroad when the internship, professional program, and certification
applications are due, you should submit your applications as soon as they return from
study abroad in order to be able to participate in both internship programs.