Established in 1985, the Governor's Awards for Excellence in Science, administered by the South Carolina Academy of Science (SCAS), are among the highest science honors in our state. The Governor's Awards for Science program was developed to honor an individual or team within the state whose achievements and contributions to science in South Carolina merit special recognition and to promote wider awareness of the quality and extent of scientific activity in South Carolina. Over the years, the program has grown to include four awards:
- The Governor's Award for Excellence in Scientific Research
- The Governor's Award for Excellence in Scientific Awareness
- The Governor's Young Scientist Award for Excellence in Scientific Research
- The Governor's Award for Excellence in Scientific Research at a Predominantly Undergraduate Institution
Collaborative team awards for collaborative projects involving multiple individuals, are eligible and encouraged in each award category. The research team may include individuals from different institutions or companies.
Internal selection process
To streamline the nomination process and help ensure that USC's distinguished scientists have the best possible chance at receiving this honor, each year the Office of the Vice President for Research coordinates an internal selection process for the awards, before passing the final nominations for consideration to SCAS. The Office of the Vice President for Research then works with the finalists and their nominators to complete SCAS submission requirements. This process, initiated in the 2014 award cycle, has resulted in four consecutive Governor’s Awards for USC faculty members, including a sweep of all categories in 2016. The Office of the Vice President for Research is pleased to accept nominations on behalf of any USC faculty from any USC campus.
- The Office of the Vice President for Research will distribute a call for nominations each year via the @UofSC Today newsletter, the RESDEV listserv and our website. Because the guidelines and required materials are subject to change from year to year, we ask that faculty and administrators wait until the call is announced before submitting their nominations.
- Any faculty member or administrator may submit one or more nominations.
- Faculty members may not nominate themselves.
- Nominations can be for one individual scientist, or for a team.
- Candidates should be currently working in South Carolina or have conducted a substantial portion of their work within the state.
- Candidates' contributions may be in any area of science and may be for service to science through non-formal education in the various media, for exemplary exposition at the college or university level, or as an acknowledgement for significant outstanding formal research.
2018 nomination materials:
- 2018 Governor's Award Internal Nomination Guidelines [pdf]
- 2018 Governor's Award Internal Nomination Form [pdf]
Please note these items are specifically for the 2018 awards, and are subject to change for subsequent years.