At a Glance
- Made up of students with majors in the health sciences
- Students live in Patterson Hall
- Get hands-on experience outside the classroom
What Makes This Community Different
Students in this community have access to opportunities that will improve their experience at Carolina and prepare them for their careers after graduation.
- Live and learn alongside peers studying a variety of medical fields for an interdisciplinary experience.
- Build your skill set for an advantage in your future endeavors, whether that's graduate school or a career.
- Gain an understanding of other cultures and how that knowledge relates to your field of study around the world.
Take Classes With Your Peers
Galen students can take courses together, called linked courses, that cover a shared interest or fulfill a major requirement.
- UNIV 101
- CHEM 111
- BIO 101
- CHEM 102 (nursing students)
- BIO 243 (nursing students)
Why Linked Courses
Research shows students who take courses within their learning community are more likely to take ownership of their academic career and be more engaged with their community.
Faculty Principal Community
These are themed, building-wide learning communities staffed by a faculty member who is an expert in the theme. Students get in-depth experience with their community topic, and gain a greater understanding of how to apply that experience outside the classroom and after they graduate.
Linked Course Community
These are academically focused communities where students live near each other and take major classes together. This helps students connect with others who have similar interests, gives them an opportunity to form relationships outside the classroom and gives them access to academic support when they need it.
Applying to Join This Community
Is this the living learning community for you?
Incoming Students: Submit your housing application, available on on Self-Service Carolina, and follow instructions to apply for a faculty principal community.
Returning Students: Fill out a university housing interest form (available Oct. 1 – 31).